Instructions: Demonstrate your understanding of crime prevention programs and the role crime prevention plays in the overall criminal justice system. You may select a crime prevention program that addresses issues in law enforcement, the courts, or corrections; or it may be a comprehensive program that addresses all three. The program may address the adult justice system, juvenile justice system, or both.
For the purposes of this assignment, assume you are preparing a proposal to a city, county, or state governmental body to recommend the implementation of a crime prevention program within their jurisdiction. With support from academic literature (both scholarly and credible sources), demonstrate the value of the crime prevention program and its effectiveness in reducing crime, which in turn will reduce the overall costs to the jurisdiction and justify the additional expenditures to the community.
In your proposal,
- Summarize the jurisdiction (i.e., city, county, or state) and the portion of the criminal justice system your proposal is designed to address.
- Analyze the data from three similar jurisdictions (comparable cities in population size).
- Compare the data to national data current trends utilizing the SARA model and the Problem Analysis Triangle.
- Evaluate the appropriate crime prevention strategy for the jurisdiction based on this analysis.
- Examine academic literature and studies on the various crime prevention programs to address the needs of the community.
- Describe how the crime prevention program addresses social justice issues of the community.
- Analyze the various programs showing their effectiveness in comparable jurisdictions.
- Propose a funding strategy for program implementation.
- State anticipated outcomes, both short and long term.
- Assess how the crime prevention program affects social justice within the community.